- Sep 26, 2019
- By Ruairi Spillane
Find your role in Ontario’s new $65-billion infrastructure project pipeline
$65-billion in new infrastructure projects. That’s the ambitious plan announced by Ontario’s Minister of Infrastructure Laurie Scott last week, with the P3 project pipeline expected to create many jobs and drive economic growth in Canada’s largest province with significant project development in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Scott predicts the projects will “generate thousands of jobs in the skilled trades, engineering, and design sectors.”
Known as the 2019 Infrastructure Ontario (IO) Market Update, the plan outlines 32 P3 projects (public-private partnerships) already in active procurement or pre-procurement, plus 11 more projects in the planning stages. The pipeline of projects is anticipated to have a substantial impact on the construction sector, according to Scott, as key players in the industry will “partner with Ontario and successfully deliver the high-quality infrastructure that our province relies on and depends on.”
The IO Market Update includes 16 new hospitals that will expand health care services across Ontario, plus a hefty lineup of transit projects in the GTA, including:
- Hamilton LRT – Transit – $1bn
- GO RER OnCorr electrification – Transit- $10bn
- Ontario Line subway – Transit – $10bn
- GO Transit expansion projects – Transit – $2bn
- Scarborough Subway Extension – Transit – $5bn
- Yonge North Subway Extension – Transit- $5bn
- Eglinton Crosstown LRT – Transit – $4bn
- The Hospital for Sick Children – Institutional – $2bn
- Windsor Regional Hospital – Institutional – $1bn
- The Ottawa Hospital – Institutional – $2bn
- Kingston General Hospital – Institutional – $750m
- Mississauga Hospital – Institutional – $2bn
Scott said that the project pipeline is the single largest commitment to P3 projects in the history of Ontario.
Outpost Recruitment feels the impacts
Already the team at Outpost is feeling the impacts of Ontario’s ambitious infrastructure objectives, with founder Ruairi Spillane noting increased demand in the region.
“We’re seeing huge demand from both consulting and contracting clients for candidates with P3 delivery experience and exposure to healthcare and rail projects,” said Spillane. “The outlook is excellent for candidates considering Toronto as a destination. It’s the perfect storm for international candidates given both Toronto and Vancouver are booming right now.”
Outpost works with general contractors, subcontractors, developers, and consultants who are hiring professionals across senior management, project management, operations, design, quality, and commercial roles.
- Buildings & Infrastructure Contracting – Project Management, Design, Site & Commercial Management professionals for general contractors and subcontractors (civil, ground engineering, M&E)
- Engineering Consulting – Civil / Structural / Mechanical & Electrical design and project management.
- Cost & Project Management Consulting – Cost Management, Project Monitoring, Infrastructure advisory, Client-side project management.
Get in touch with Ruairi Spillane at [email protected] or 778-861-1244 if you would like to explore employment opportunities across Canada.Create my Employment Profile