- Oct 15, 2019
- By Maria Hasson
Senior Mechanical Engineer, Building Services | Consulting
Posted 2 weeks ago
- Salary: $90,000+
Building Services Consultancy
Building services consultancy focused on commercial and institutional buildngs
Our client, a global engineering consultancy is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join their growing operations with experience across market sectors such as residential, commercial, retail, institutional and tenant improvements.
This position provides the opportunity to work with a truly innovative and passionate team. Our Client has built a distinguished reputation as a services consulting firm and are looking for talented, resourceful individuals to join the team. The role requires design experience and capabilities to work alongside the existing Vancouver team. Building sustainable relationships with clients through successful project delivery will be critical for representing the brand, drive successful project outcomes, reduce risks, ensure adherence to policy & codes.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- PEng with APEGBC certification in Mechanical Engineering HVAC and Mechanical Building Systems with responsibility of Engineer of Record on a number of projects in the office.
- Review, certification and stamping of mechanical services drawings
- Provision of Schedules B and C-B Letters of Assurance
- Strong working relationships with developers, contractors and regulators of commercial and industrial developments
- Bringing multidisciplined teams together to solve problems
- Internally overseeing teams of project managers/designers/engineers/energy modellers/field review technicians for the projects you will be responsible for
- Ability to occasionally adapt working hours for international coordination
- Preparing drawings, reports and mechanical specifications
- Coordinating wit team of engineers, as well as coordinating externally with external design team members/stakeholders.
- Providing regular reviews on projects to evaluate clients’ expectations
- Conducting process improvement analysis as it relates to the operation and performance of systems;
- Supporting and initiating business development activities for the Mechanical Engineering team in Vancouver.
- Providing technical guidance, mentoring and quality assurance to Mechanical Engineers/Designers to ensure the technical competence of mechanical engineering/design on projects.
- Potential for other leadership roles in the future
- Excellent career growth opportunities (if interested potential to work in other offices overseas)
- University Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 15+ years of relevant building systems design experience (ideally 5+ years with Lower Mainland BC as a signing engineer, 10+ years’ experience in BC)
- Eng APEGBC Certification in Mechanical Engineering HVAC and Mechanical Building Systems (willingness and ability to sign off Mechanical Design drawings)
- Legally entitled to work in Canada for an indefinite period
- Very strong Technical ability. Strength in designing and doing field reviews for commercial/industrial (e.g., shopping centre, strip mall, high-rise office, low-rise office, restaurants, warehouse, swimming pools, dental/medical clinics, laboratories, district energy systems, storm detention and filtration systems, water reuse systems, grease interceptors), and residential (e.g., high-rise residential, mixed used high-rise, hotels, townhome site services, single family dwellings)
- Competency in BCBC, BCPC, VBBL, VPBL
- Competency in ASHRAE 62/62.1/62.2 (ventilation), ASHRAE 90.1 (energy conservation), Energy Step Code (energy conservation),CSA B149 (gas code), CSA B139 (stationary engine code), NFPA 96 (commercial kitchen ventilation), and Worksafe BC guidelines (CO, Chlorine)
- Competency compiling Engineering drawings (hand/CAD/BIM)
- Mechanical load analyses (concept level, UATD, CLTD/HB) & software interpretation
- Incorporating multidisciplinary information (e.g., electrical, architectural, structural, geotechnical, energy modelling, sustainability acoustics, client requirements)
- Client communication at site meetings, teleconferences, presentations, open houses
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Approaches tasks in a positive and professional manner
- Calm and productive when under pressure from deadlines
- Able to clearly explain engineering design information to clients in layman’s terms
- Class 5 BC Driver’s License
- Commissioning projects and doing occupancy pre-walkthrough and occupancy walkthroughs
- 5-digit / 6-digit NMS (specification) editing
- Ideally has the ability to bring existing client connections (in the above market sectors)
- Personable and comfortable with clients
- Needs to have good planning and organisational skills.
- Able to deliver accurate & consistent results in a complex and deadline driven environment
- Supervisory background and proven leadership skills
Additional desirable qualifications (but not critical):
- Sustainability labelling (E.g., LEED, WELL, REAP, BREEAM, Greenstar, NABERS) with a preference for American/Canadian systems.
- Fire Suppression Engineering
- Representation at local technical societies / organizations / higher-learning organizations (E.g., ASHRAE, ASPE, IBPSA-BC, BSSB committees, EGBC committees, BC Hydro Power Smart, BCIT, UBC, SFU)
- Familiarity with Utilities Commission Act / BCUC, local thermal energy utilities (E.g., SEFC NEU, SCE, LEC, Lulu Island)
Extended Medical, Dental and Disability available. Salary based on a normal working week
Please clearly highlight relevant work experience, project overviews and project scale ($) in your resume.
Candidates with valid work permit preferred
Please ensure you register your details with Outpost Recruitment when submitting your job application. We cannot review your application until we have gathered information on your work experience, skills and attributes.
Submit an application